score football magazine

Rams claim spot in Wembley final
Tuesday 15 May 2007
Derby 2-3 Southampton (4-4 on agg) Derby win 4-3 on penalties
Having lost their home tie, Southampton fought back to win on the night with a late goal which took the match to extra time and penalties.
Pride Park was still celebrating Darren Moore's 3rd minute headed goal when a minute later Viafara took advantage of a defensive mix-up to equalize. Viafara smashed the ball past Bywater in the 54th minute, but in the 66th minute Best sliced the ball into the back of his own net to give Derby an aggregate advantage. An 89th minute shot by Rasiak gave the Saints victory on the night which took the match into extra time and penalties. Best missed the first spot-kick for Southampton and when Idiakez hit high over the bar. Derby who had converted their 4 penalty-kicks were on their way to Wembley where they will meet WBA or Wolves for a place in the premiership next season.

Super Kev does it for Baggies
Wednesday 16 May 2007
West Brom 1-0 Wolves - West Brom win 4-2 on aggregate
West Bromwich Albion will face Derby in the Championship play-off final at Wembley after doing the double over Wolves.
Kevin Phillips who scored twice in the away leg scored the only goal of the match at the Hawthorns with a header in 64th minute to send Wolves packing.

Wembley turns Blue
Saturday 19 May 2007
Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United (A.E.T)
After a dull first half, the match briefly came to life in the second half but failed to produce a goal in normal time. United claimed that Ryan Giggs had forced the ball over the line in extra time, but in the 116th minute it was Drogba who after a neat one-two with Lampard, poked the ball past the advancing van der Sar to win the FA Cup for Chelsea at the new Wembley

Milan kings of Europe
Wednesday 23 May 2007 Athens
AC Milan 2-1 Liverpool
Pippo Inzaghi scored twice as Milan took revenge for their 2005 European Cup final defeat against Liverpool.
Milan scored against the run of play on the stroke of half time when Inzaghi unwittingly deflected a Pirlo free-kick passed Pepe Reina. With 8 minutes remaining Inzaghi got behind the Liverpool defence and rounded the keeper to put the tie to bed. Dirk Kuyt headed the ball past Dida in the last minute, but it was too little too late for the Reds and Milan lifted the cup.

Kiwis hold Wales
Saturday 26 May 2007
Wales 2-2 New Zealand
Lowly rated New Zealand tested Wales ahead of their vital Euro qualifier against the Czech Republic as they were twice forced to come from behind to earn a draw in Wrexham.
The match was only 2 minutes old when Oughton ran into the box and cut the ball back for Smeltz to drill home. In the 20th minute Giggs found Bellamy who powered home the equalizer, but only 4 minutes later Smeltz got the better of Ricketts to head in his second. Craig Bellamy restored parity in the 39th minute when his shot was deflected past Mark Paston. The post denied Smeltz his hat-trick in a much less eventful second half.

Bolivia turn on the heat
Saturday 26 May 2007 Boston USA
Rep Ireland 1-1 Bolivia
Bolivia earned a creditable draw with the Republic of Ireland in preparation for the upcoming Copa America
After knocking on the Bolivian door, the Irish finally went ahead in the 12th minute when Shane Long got on the end of Alan O'Brien's cross to head the ball past the keeper. The Irish fans were still celebrating when Arce struck the post, and a poor Irish clearance was returned into the box allowing Hoyos to thump the ball past Nick Colgan. In the second half substitute keeper Henderson made several saves including a brilliant one from Cabrera to deny Bolivia victory, while his opposite number Suarez saved spectacularly to keep out a rasping shot from the impressive Stokes.

Derby win the prize
Monday 28 May 2007 Wembley
Derby 1-0 WBA
A second-half Stephen Pearson goal gave Derby premiership status for next season.
West Bromwich Albion came closest in the first half with Kevin Phillips shaving the bar in the 43rd minute. Oakley's majestic half-volley was magnificently tipped over the bar by Dean Kiely in the 59th minute, but the Albion keeper was beaten 2 minutes later when Barnes drilled the ball across the face of goal for Pearson to bundle it in for the goal that took Derby into the premiership.

Back to index

Home Page